Our pets are members of our family. When my daughter gets a snack she usually wants to share it with our dog Angel. When I tell her it is not a good idea then she will ask "If I accidentally drop something on the floor can she eat it?
Children love to share their treats with their best friend, but it is not always a good idea. I sat down with my daughter to explain to her that even though she may be able to eat certain food without a health concern, that those same food can be harmful to Angel. I thought I would share with you some foods that we should not give to our pets.
Foods not meant for our pets.1. Grapes. These might be toxic to dogs and cause kidney concerns if eaten in large amounts.
2. Onions onion powder, and chives. They can create gastrointestinal irritation
3. Leftover Bones. Left-over bones can cause a choking hazard and they can also splinter and puncture your pet’s stomach and or intestine.
4. Sugarless candy that is sweetened with Xylitol. This can cause liver damage and possible death.
5. Chocolate, I think most of us know this one. Apparently the darker the chocolate the more toxic to our pet.
6. Coffee o.k. I would hope people would not be giving their pets coffee. We did foster a dog several years ago that would literally go after us when we had a mug of coffee in hand. If a mug of coffee was sitting on the table the dog would literally jump on the table to get to it. Apparently she liked the taste of coffee. We never willingly gave it to her though.Coffee can cause vomiting, and diarrehea.
7. Cat Food. Do not give your dog cat food. Cat food is generally to high in protein for dogs. Do not give cats Dog food.
8. Raisins. Dogs should not have raisins, they are dried grapes.
9. Macadamia Nuts They contain an unknown toxin, which can effect the digestive and nervous systems.
10. Milk and Dairy products. Giving kitty a bowl of milk is not considered a good idea anymore.
Some adult dogs and cats do not have enough amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea.
11. Dough containing yeast. Uncooked dough containing yeast can rise in your pets tummy and cause pain, gas and possible rupture of intestines and or abdomen.
12. Mushrooms: Mushrooms contain toxins, that can cause shock and possible death.
13. Sugary foods. Sugary foods can cause obesity, and diabetitis as well as dental concerns.
There are also several types of plants that can pose a threat to our pets1. Lilies
2. Sago Palm
3. Tulip/Narcissus bulbs
6. Castor Bean
10. Autumn Crocus
12 Peace Lily
I know with Easter around the corner many varieties plants are given as gifts. Remember to Keep out of reach of your curious pets.
If your pet ingests one of the above mentioned and is showing signs of toxicity. Vominting, dirarreha, and or
seizures you will want to seek immediate medical treatment. Posting your Vets phone number and emergency contact info somewhere accesible is a good idea.
If your pet is not showing symptoms, but you know that he or she may have digested something potentially toxic, call the ASPCA hotline at (888) 426-4435. The ASPCA is a great rescource for keeping our pets safe.